flight greece

Set between two raging streams, Kelado and Nalifo, choked with bulrushes, pine trees and sweet bays, the township of Dafnoula (little sweet bay) took root just like its namesake and stayed put since the time of the Orlov uprising in 1770. It was a region in habited centuries before as Roman baths in Maurorema and Byzantine remains prove, the community before 1821 being known as Bartzi.

Saint Theodore Church in Dafnoula

Saint Theodore Church in Dafnoula

Like a carefree mountaineer “shepherdess”, Dafnoula has been keeping company with for years with the town and twin, called “Helidoni” or “Swallow”.  With the characteristic natural beauty of central Peloponnese, it doesn’t have need of any make-up. It charms with its fountain, built of stone, its beautiful square, the stone-built church of St. George and its country chapels of St. Athanassios, St. theodores, Panagitsa and St. Panteleimon.

There are the two communities of Koutsi and Paleochori with its churches of St. Constantine and St. George that are ever so serene. The pride of the region is the festival of St. George, the folklore collection, the recreational center “Kalpaki” and the quite active cultural center of “Dafnouleoi” which annually honours its members on the feast day of the “Transfiguration of the Saviour” with events. Dafnoula grew on the ancient flagstones of the famous Arcadian way which set out from Ancient Alipheira.

Renowned for its craftsman’s perfection, this ancient cobbled road was the course followed by sacred processions and a meeting place for the victorious Arcadian champions, since this was where the most ancient athletic games in Greek, the “Lyceums” were held. Dafnoula, dressed in laurel, crowned in laurel!

Categories: Activities

Leave a Reply